Stuffed bell peppers come in many varieties, from risotto filled to breaded stuffing filled peppers. Alternatively, you can also make your stuffed peppers a little bit healthier by opting for mixing in other fresh vegetables with your risotto or stuffing. Read on for directions on how to make this delicious homemade Italian stuffed bell peppers recipe!
* 4 whole bell peppers, red or green
Add carrots, peas, water chestnuts, bamboo chutes, or fresh parsnips to add even more vegetables to this recipe!
* 4-6 celery stalks, cleaned and sliced into small pieces
* 1 can diced Italian style tomatoes, or two whole fresh tomatoes diced
* 1 teaspoon dried basil
* 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
* 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, or 1/2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic (add the fresh version in with the veggie mixture below)
* 2 tbsp. olive oil
* 1/4 cup water
* 1/2 cup fresh sliced white mushrooms (optional)
* 1/8 teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
1. Preheat an oven to 350 degrees. Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a saucepan with celery, water, and mushrooms on medium heat for five minutes. Drain the tomatoes, then add to the vegetable mixture. Cook on low for approximately five minutes, until the tomatoes start to soften.
2. While the vegetables are cooking, wash the bell peppers. Cut the tops of the bell peppers off around the stem. Rinse each pepper out to remove as many seeds as possible, and removing the pit of seeds. Rinse again, and drain to remove water.
3. Add the spices to the boiling water and vegetable mix. Add the stuffing mix to the water, stirring, then fluffing with a fork.
4. Add the stuffing mixture to the inside of the peppers. Add mozzarella cheese or additional olive oil to flavor the stuffing if desired. Fill to the top.
5. Place the stuffed peppers in a tall glass baking pan, and bake for approximately 15-20 minutes. Serve immediately.
You Might Also Enjoy:
* Crispy Baked Risotto Balls
* Ten Delicious Italian Thanksgiving Recipes
* Easy Homemade Pizza Dough
* Homemade Italian Sausage and Peppers
Kiwi at 7:29 AM Labels: appetizers, bell peppers, stuffed peppers